12.10.10

Sofia Coppola

I can't resist style sections of newspapers. In particular, I just can't help myself around Suzy Menkes' slightly old-fashioned but always straight talking takes on things, and I always go to her first, for balance. Menkes' profile of Sofia Coppola this month is published to promote her collaboration with Louis Vuitton – a selection of prohibitively expensive bags and shoes (some costing over $4,000), made to her own specifications. The accompanying images, taken from the collection, caught my eye.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
All images from TFS

I very much admire the simplicity of her personal style, those long trousers and her ability to wield a clutch in particular. In the article though, it's not the bags that are intriguing (either way, they're not: they're ridiculously expensive, and you can find very similar at Topshop) it's the personality, the personal style, and the one phrase that sums up one individual's approach to fashion:

"Paris women have certain style - they are not trying to be little girls," she says. "In general, people are more chic and put together in Paris... I like the idea of growing up and being a woman - the end of childhood but keeping part of your nature."

She is not alone in thinking this: the cover of the Guardian Saturday magazine a few weeks ago featured a model in a flared Prada shift dress with the line: 'Step aside, girls, fashion for women has arrived'. I really would love to believe that it has.

3 comments:

  1. I love that comment. I am musing on the idea of growing up for months now, and also got to the conclusion that the way you dress has a lot to do with this (I have a theory with shoes :-))...

    Also, you are completly right: pics are great but bas is... unremarkable at the very least.

    M
    ----------------
    http://mayabeus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah so many things I love about this post! sofia coppola! the quote! the simplicity! but its so true, all of my favorite "style" icons are french women; they're always so well put-together without overdoing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful! What a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, so thank you for leaving one! Please though, don't leave your blog address in the comment box – it is slightly spammy, and already linked via your blogger profile. Thank you!