25.4.11

Details

As I sat on the floor scrubbing the skirting boards, about an hour or so after Ben had looked at me pityingly to say that on his list of things to clean, the skirting boards were quite far down, I realised that I'm definitely quite obsessed by the little details.

I've mentioned my appreciation of clean lines and subtle detailing before, but I hadn't realised the extent to which it ran. Lately, I've been chasing these geometrics and little details around with my camera, and these pictures are the result. I took them in Ben's parents' house a weekend or so ago (an early seventeenth-century house is full of fine details – beams, uneven walls, tiny doors – it has them all).

Chair tops
Details
Beams
Clean lines

Aside from my recent detail fanaticism, a few other things I have been enjoying this past week are this man's skill at photographing people (found via his photographs of a riot that happened nearby this weekend) and this website's free stream of the new Fleet Foxes album, which I find a little too much at times, but perfect at others.

8 comments:

  1. Love these details and the lovely wood tones too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the picture of the chair and the wooden beam.

    little details are what life amazing! such a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always worth taking care to see the details, I think you can be really surprised by how much you can see, that you may not have noticed before. Thanks for the fleet foxes link and the linen dress in your last post is gorgeous. I am finding it increasingly tough to find anything decent in charity shops these days - it's good to see it can still be done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i clean my skirting boards too. like you, i appreciate the fine (often overlooked) details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-) I feel the same way about fleet foxes.
    ANd the pics are really really great. Love the colours, very soothing!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  6. we're like-minded, I often find myself focusing intently on the fine details (and spending hours looking at shadows).

    I envy houses like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm the same way. i like to stare at little details too. but sometimes it gets in the way of getting things done..which i'm also good at i.e. procrastinating. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for pointing me to the free stream of the new Fleet Foxes album. I feel the same way about it, as was the case with the previous album. It's funny to see how our state of being can be so different from day to day, even hour to hour.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, so thank you for leaving one! Please though, don't leave your blog address in the comment box – it is slightly spammy, and already linked via your blogger profile. Thank you!